Committed to discovering young Asian film talent, the global film education program, the Asia Film Academy (AFA) is looking for 2012 participants. The AFA 2012 will take place prior to the Busan International Film Festival from Thursday, September 27 to Sunday, October 14. The application deadline is April 30.
From Mentorships to Funding for Program Graduates: An Exciting and Meaningful 18-day Film Education Program
Starting in 2005, the Asia Film Academy is in its 8th year, serving as a shared working field for young Asian filmmakers. The program concentrates on discovering new possibilities for Asian cinema.
Prominent film directors have joined as program directors in previous years including HOU Hsiao Hsien, IM Kwon-taek, Mohsen MAKHMALBAF, Abbas KIAROSTAMI, KUROSAWA Kiyoshi, and Krzysztof ZANUSSI. They have increased the quality of the intensive 18-day program by leading film production workshops and 1:1 mentorships. Over the past 7 years, the AFA has graduated 171 students from 25 countries. Funding for scenario development (10000000 KRW) from the Asian Cinema Fund (ACF) as well as scholarships (10000000 KRW) from Dongseo University are available for program graduates and provide continued long-term support. In addition, overseas Koreans will be eligible to apply this year; this is expected to expand the diversity of experience and participant backgrounds.
For more information on the application process, please visit AFA website ( http://afa.biff.kr ).
Asia Film Academy (AFA) is co-hosted by Dongseo University, the Busan Film Commission, and the Busan International Film Festival.
* Basic Information
- Program Dates: September 27, 2012 – October 14, 2012 (18 days)
- Host: Dongseo University, Busan Film Commission, and Busan International Film Festival
- Application deadline: April 30, 2012
- Acceptance decision: July 6, 2012
- Application Process: Please refer to the website ( http://afa.biff.kr )
* AFA Alumni News
- Edwin / Indonesia / 2005 program graduate
Postcard From the Zoo (2012)
- Competition of Berlinale 2012
Blind Pig Who Wants to Fly (2008)
- New Currents of the Busan International Film Festival 2008
- Tiger Competition of the International Film Festival Rotterdam 2009
- Wichanon SOMUMJARN / Thailand / 2009 program graduate
In April the Following Year, There Was a Fire (2012)
- Tiger Competition of the International Film Festival Rotterdam 2012
- BOO Jun Feng / Singapore / 2005 program graduate
- A Window on Asian Cinema of the Busan International Film Festival 2010
- Critics’ Week at Cannes 2010
- Sheron DAYOC / Philippines / 2008 program graduate
Ways of the Sea (2010)
- New Currents of Busan International Film Festival 2010
- Forum of Berlinale 2011
- Sanjeewa PUSHPAKUMARA / Sri Lanka / 2009 program graduate
Flying Fish (2010)
- Tiger Competition at the International Film Festival Rotterdam 2011
- Chris CHONG Chan Fui / Malaysia / 2006 program graduate
- A Window on Asian Cinema of the Busan International Film Festival 2009
- Directors’ Fortnight at Cannes 2009
Asian Film Market and Asian Project Market are from Monday, October 8, 2012 to Thursday, October 11, 2012