ÉCU – THE EUROPEAN INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL 2012
ANNOUNCES OPENING NIGHT FILMS
13 films to kick off the 2012 festival on Friday the 30th of March, 2012.
PARIS, FRANCE (29 March, 2012) – ÉCU – The European Independent Film Festival, Europe’s premier event for independent cinema, is delighted to announce the 13 films screening at the festival’s opening ceremony on Friday the 30th of March, 2012 at Cinéma Les 7 Parnassiens in Paris, France. The films are:
· “Berlinoises“, directed by Rocco Labbé (France), a bittersweet drama that ensues after a group of Russian soldiers find two German girls hiding in an abandoned apartment in Berlin 1945.
· “Useful“, directed by Inti Calfat (Belgium), illustrates the intimate struggles of a doomed couple.
· “Dreamt In Flesh“, directed by Ians Pons Jewell (UK), is a visceral exploration of conscious experience.
· “Derapage“, directed by Arnaud Saibron, Bertrand Saint-Martin, Guillaume Petit, Luc-ewen Martin-Fenouillet, Mathias Barday, and Olivier Landais (France), tells the entertaining story of the chance encounter between an unlucky 36-year-old accountant and a bus driver.
· “Little King“, directed by Socrates Alafouzos (Greece), narrates the story of an abusive childhood and the long-term pain and sorrow it produces.
· “House“, directed by Prano Bailey-Bond (UK), a music video about a sinister little girl’s doll collection.
· “Melt“, directed by Noemie Lafrance (USA), depicts the sensual and dramatic physical experience of the body.
· “Beats of Love“, directed by Wim Geuduns (Belgium), shows a man on the hunt for the perfect beats to give to the woman he loves.
· “The Runner“, directed by Parker Ellerman (Germany/South Africa), tells the sad fate of a young boy who steals for his mother’s benefit.
· “The Game“, directed by Marcin Janiec (Poland), is a 3-D animation of a riveting chess match between life and death.
· “Splitscreen: A Love Story“, directed by JW Griffiths (UK), simulataneously presents two different stories of two strangers who, although worlds apart, are inextricably linked.
· “CMX-The Milky Way“, directed by Misko Iho (Finland), a music video about an old man embarking on his last journey.
· “Grounded“, directed by Barrett Meeker and Kevin Margo (USA), presents the story of an astronaut who lands on a hostile exo-solar planet.
The selected films demonstrate the diversity of cinematic style, content, and talent that ÉCU will showcase over the weekend of the 30th and 31st of March and the 1st of April 2012 at Cinéma Les 7 Parnassiens and Cinéma Action Christine in Paris.
ÉCU 2012 will presents 101 films from 33 countries as they compete in 14 categories for 24 awards including “Europe’s Best Independent Film 2012″. The winners will be announced at the festival’s Awards Ceremony on Sunday the 1st of April 2012 at 20:00 and will be broadcast live on www.ecufilmfestival.com.
In addition to the film screenings, festival attendees will have the opportunity to participate in an exciting array of professional filmmaking workshops and “Meet-the-Directors“. There is also a programme of live music organised by festival partner Access Film-Music, who has presented over one hundred exceptional recording artists during Film Festival Week in Park City, Utah, USA.
Since its inception seven years ago, ÉCU has proved to be a discovery point for many of Europe’s talented independent filmmakers who are driven by the passion to make great cinema, but do not benefit from large production budgets.
Stay connected with ÉCU 2012: